Deciding on a landscaper is never an easy decision to make; Do you select the builder with a name you know, the one that can do everything or maybe it's best to wait and see which quote comes in cheapest? How you decide on which builder to use is completely up to you, but there are a few things we recommend putting some thought into so you can ask the right questions before you sign with anyone, to make sure they can actually (and legally) achieve what you require.
- How many people is the new area being designed for (Just you, family & friends or work functions etc.)?
- Have you thought about how much you are willing to invest into completing the project?
- Is there anything you need the area or new structure to included (Outdoor shower, afternoon shade etc)?
- Have you discussed council approvals and planning with anyone to make sure it is possible in your area?
- Do you have a timeframe or certain date that the project needs to be completed by?
Along with all the above, no matter who you choose, please make sure you protect yourself. Check that the builder you select is licensed and insured for the work they are quoting to complete, prior to accepting any quotes*. Make sure you complete a contract with the builder you choose before they commence any work, as this will include all costs and dates of completion**. We can't stress enough that this is one of the most important things when engaging a contractor, as this is both your guarantee and protection for what you are agreeing to be completed (plus it is mandatory to have a contract if the contract value is over $3,300 in QLD). We also recommend seeking legal advice before signing, to ensure you are aware of your rights and obligations. If there is any sort of dispute that arises during or after the build is completed, you will be able to refer to the plans and contracts if the time calls.
Putting all the above aside, landscaping is a very exciting time for any landowner. The decisions are endless on what you can add to your property, it all comes down to what is going to work for you. Our Team at Ramko is here to answer all your questions when it comes to both Structural and Non-Structural Landscaping. We can assist with every step, from putting your ideas to paper and gaining the correct council approvals, right through to applying that last coat of stain to your beautiful new entertaining area. We are happy to arrange a time that works for you to meet to discuss what you have in mind anytime, even if you are still 6 months out from starting. If you are ready to find out more, get in touch on the contact form below.
* To search if your builder is licensed in QLD with the QBCC, please see this link from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). https://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/licensee-search
** For more information on contracts, please see this link from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). https://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/contracts-payments/contracts